Pfizer are looking for a Data Science apprentice to work within Chemical Research and Development (CRD). This is your opportunity to start a career at one of the UK’s Top Employers.
|Salary||£17,060 per annum|
|Holiday Entitlement||25.5 days per year plus Bank Holidays|
|Working Hours||Monday to Thursday 9am – 5.25pm, Friday 9am – 4.05pm|
|Start Date||4th September 2023|
|Interview Date||March / April 2023|
|Closing date for applications||5th March 2023|
|To apply||To apply, fill in your information in the online form below. If you are having difficulty in complete this, please contact recruitment on [email protected] for assistance.|
|Next Steps||Once the position has closed, shortlisted candidates will be invited to a one way video interview, you will have 3 days to complete it.
This will be reviewed by the Hiring Manager along with your application form to decide who is brought through to the final interview.
If you have any issues in applying, please contact us on [email protected]
CRD is responsible for generating the knowledge on how to prepare Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs – also known as Drug Substance (DS)) for large scale manufacturing. The development of an API can take many years and so the amount of data we accumulate is vast. The majority of our colleagues generate this data working in a laboratory setting using state-of-the art automated reactors, process monitoring technologies and measurement techniques. We use this data in modelling software, or to build mathematical simulations, to help us in our process development work. Pfizer’s Digital transformation is well underway, and we recognise the importance of Data Science in structuring all this data, making connections between data streams, contextualising data, and making insights only possible with ‘big data’. Our team has a diverse skill set to help us achieve our goals, including process modelling, data analytics and laboratory automation, so there will always be help at hand to help you achieve success in your academic and professional career.
What can you expect from a science apprenticeship at Pfizer?
- Working in a fast-paced environment within a highly skilled scientific community
- Problem solving and modelling to recommend improvements in manufacturing processes
- Applying mathematical theories to real-life scenarios in the process of drug development
- Connecting multiple systems to work together through programming and coding
- Manipulation of data to gain insights into processes and translate this into knowledge to be communicated to relevant colleagues and team members
- Structured training activities with close mentorship
- Exposure to a business environment operating within regulations set by external organisations including Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
- Learning to plan and prioritise tasks whilst evaluating progress against objectives
- Developing excellent communication skills to communicate scientific information and allow effective collaboration in a professional environment
- Using creative thinking to challenge assumptions, innovate and make new proposals to build on existing ideas
- Taking responsibility for personal development, demonstrating commitment to learning and self-improvement
- Tools to thrive and develop professionally to help enable a successful career
You’re the future. Your ambition, talents, ideas and unique way of looking at the world will help us drive innovation in every part of our business.
Our company purpose – “Breakthroughs that Change Patients’ Lives” – guides our environmental sustainability priorities. We’re passionate about protecting human health. That’s reflected in our environmental sustainability goals: climate action & sustainable medicines.
Bringing Breakthroughs that Change Patients’ Lives goes beyond breakthrough medicines. Climate change is impacting the health we protect and the patients we serve. It’s the challenge of our age, we need to act, and our customers and patients want us to act.
We leverage scientific innovation to reduce our environmental impact through climate impact mitigation, conservation of resources and the reduction of waste.
We will continue to work in partnership, using science to combat climate change together #ScienceWillWin
We need people with a hugely diverse range of talents. “Love Science? Want to work on the business side? Get stuck into an apprenticeship to launch a career in anything from working in the drug development labs to paralegal service”.
Pfizer’s apprenticeship scheme, run in partnership with Cogent Skills, offers the best of both worlds. You’ll work with world-leaders in your field, from researchers to business gurus. You’ll study towards a nationally recognised academic or professional qualification. And all the time, you’ll be earning a highly competitive salary.
Looking for an alternative to college or university, where you can earn while you learn, and build experience with a global leader? Find it at Pfizer.
- Knowledge of mathematics (life sciences desired but not a requirement)
- Problem solving with a logical thinking approach
- Knowledge of programming skills e.g. Python (nice to have – not a requirement)
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse mix of team members effectively
- Appreciation of the importance of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Confident user of IT software including Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Attention to detail and ability to summarise information and write up into a report or to deliver a presentation
- Capable of researching scientific topics and identifying key information relevant to the project
- Ability to follow instructions and operate in a controlled environment adhering to procedures for example safety, environment and risk management
- Passion for mathematics and drive to develop coding/programming skills
- Interest in data manipulation to gather learnings and make process improvements
- Desire to work and ability to thrive in a team environment
- Ability to ask questions when working on an unknown or new package of work
- Motivated to drive your career progression and development
- Open to change and flexibility within a work environment
- Ability to listen and take on board the opinion of others whilst also being able to positively influence colleagues
- Self-driven and able to set goals which are realistic but also challenging
TRAINING TO BE DELIVERED
Apprenticeship standard: Data Scientist
Qualification achieved: BSc (Hons) Data Scientist
Training provider: Nottingham University
Delivery model: Blended learning – combines remote online learning and face to face block release workshops delivered in Nottingham
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, you will be eligible to apply for other positions within the business.
THINGS TO BE CONSIDERED
The apprentice must be able to demonstrate the required attitudes, behaviours and interpersonal skills associated with the professional workplace. The apprentice must be willing to commit an amount of personal time to study. Please ensure you check out travel options to be able to commute to the workplace.