Jazz Pharmaceuticals is looking for an industrial intern who will support the various projects, tasks, and work of the Discovery and Medicinal Chemistry department.
|Required Qualifications||Studying, or recently completed, a Chemistry, Pharmacy, or Pharmaceutical Sciences based degree.|
|Location||Kent Science Park, Sittingbourne|
|Holiday Entitlement||25 days plus bank holidays|
|Hours of Work||40 hours per week
Start Time -8.30am
End Time– 5.30pm
Lunch – 12.30pm – 1.30pm
|Closing date||31st March 2023
Please note, the vacancy may close sooner if sufficient applications are received.
|Interview date||April 2023|
|Start date||June 2023|
|To apply||Please click the apply button to submit your CV and cover letter in a Word format, please do not submit pdf’s or other un-editable formats.|
|Next steps||Once the position has closed, shortlisted candidates will be invited to a one way video interview, you will have 3 days to complete it.
This will be reviewed by the Hiring Manager along with your CV and Cover Letter to decide who is brought through to the final interview.
If you have any issues in applying, please contact us on [email protected]
The Discovery and Medicinal Chemistry (D&MC) 12-month Internship opportunity is designed to expose a selected individual to many of the roles and responsibilities in the early drug development process. The placement will be in one, or more, of these functional disciplines: Synthetic Chemistry (Medicinal or Process), Analytical Chemistry, or pre-Formulation & Biopharmaceutics. The position will complement and significantly add to their university learning experience and provide highly valuable industrial experience. The focus of this internship is to also gain familiarization with Jazz Pharmaceuticals and the various projects, tasks, and work that the Discovery and Medicinal Chemistry department contributes to the overall success of the company. The intern should gain a very positive experience of Jazz Pharmaceuticals and will hopefully apply for a full-time role in the future.
Working very closely with an assigned supervisor on:
- Learning and understanding the importance of, and implementing the laboratory risk assessment process to underpin safe laboratory working
- Conducting laboratory operational tasks and experiments
- Learning how to interpret their own experimental observations/results to then manage their workload/experimental strategy. This will be in either:
- synthetic chemistry (mg to Kg)
- analytical and spectroscopy chemistry
- formulation development
- Learning and developing an understanding of Medicinal Chemistry and the Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) early development process
- Effectively presenting their own work in team and project meetings
- Writing one or more summary reports during the placement.
- The role will involve a combination of laboratory work (mostly standing) and desk/PC work.
- Ensure compliance with company policies, procedures, and training expectations
- Deliver on any university course requirements.
- Evaluation will initially be provided via verbal feedback from the intern’s supervisor.
Further to the above, ongoing evaluation will be given at the midpoint and end of the internship. The midpoint evaluation is intended to provide the student constructive feedback on strengths and weaknesses and offer recommendations to improve. A written final evaluation will be given at the end of the internship.
The ability to use all skills learned at university in a R&D laboratory environment:
- Chemistry undergraduates – hands on experience in any of the following techniques: Experimental Organic Chemistry, preparative chromatography, NMR, MS, HPLC and GC. Strong numerical and analytical skills, and a sound knowledge of theoretical Organic Chemistry
- Pharm. Sci./Pharmacy undergraduates – hands on experience in any of the following techniques: HPLC-UV, thermodynamic solubility assessment, formulation development/manufacturing. Strong numerical and analytical skills, and a sound knowledge of Physical Chemistry
- English language – excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work closely with their supervisor, individually and as part of a team
- Good listening skills, the ability to follow instructions and the confidence to make suggestions where appropriate
- Strong organization skills, an excellent attention to detail and the ability to manage tasks within defined deadlines
- The ability to write their experiments clearly and coherently in an electronic notebook.
- Ability to solve problems, interact with others and manage a varied workload
- Is self-motivated to achieve high quality results within defined timeframes
- Attention to detail
ABOUT JAZZ PHARMACEUTICALS
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc is a global biopharmaceutical company whose purpose is to innovate to transform the lives of patients and their families. Jazz Pharmaceuticals are dedicated to developing life-changing medicines for people with serious diseases—often with limited or no therapeutic options. They have a diverse portfolio of marketed medicines and novel product candidates, from early-to late-stage development, in neuroscience and oncology. They actively explore new options for patients including novel compounds, small molecules and biologics, and through cannabinoid science and innovative delivery technologies. Jazz is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland and has employees around the globe, serving patients in nearly 75 countries.
Upon successful completion of the internship, you will be eligible to apply for other positions within the business.
Please ensure that you are willing and able to live within commutable distance of the company site before applying. Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact [email protected] for assistance.
Cogent Skills Placements Service are managing the recruitment for this placement at our client’s request, therefore we ask that applications are made through our website please.