Placement Students 2023-2024 (12 Months)
Local Safety Officer and Pharmacovigilance Operations Role based in Cambridge, UK
Drug safety (also known as pharmacovigilance) is the science and activities relating to detection, assessment, understanding and prevention of side effects (known as adverse events) of medicines. This allows an understanding of both the risks as well as the benefits of a medicine.
The local safety officer is responsible for representing patient safety in interactions with Government Authorities in the United Kingdom and Ireland, external healthcare professionals and internal departments to ensure compliant performance of drug safety activities based on legislative requirements.
|Required Qualifications||Excellent exam and course work grades from the first year of your degree (or higher qualification) in Life Sciences or a related discipline.|
|Holiday Entitlement||25 days + Bank holidays|
|Hours of Work||8:30-17:30 Monday- Thursday 8:30-15:00 Friday|
|Closing Date||16th December|
|Interview Date||Thursday 12th & Friday 13th January 2023|
|Start Date||July 2023|
|Next Steps||Once the position has closed, candidates CV’s and application forms will be reviewed by the Hiring Managers at Amgen and a shortlist of candidates selected for interview.
If you have any issues in applying, please contact us on [email protected]
To apply for this position we require your CV and this complete form.
We are requesting you answer the questions on this form instead of writing a Cover Letter.
Amgen have also written a guide to help you put forward a strong application.
We recommend that you read this prior to applying.
Amgen currently has a vacancy for a placement student in the UK affiliate local safety team in the Cambridge office. Students working in this role will gain experience in:
- Local safety regulations for the UK, Ireland and European Union.
- Training on adverse event reporting obligations for local customer-facing staff.
- Participation in local Medical and Commercial meetings to discuss product safety issues.
- Providing quality and timely responses to internal and external drug safety questions.
- Safety data collection, processing and distribution to Government Authorities and Ethics Committees for medicines in clinical trials and on the market.
- Liaison with healthcare professionals in writing, to collate complete safety and clinical data on adverse event reports.
- Providing drug safety advice to internal departments for local activities, to advance the safe use of medicines and support business needs.
- Excellent exam and course work grades from the first year of their degree (or higher qualification) in Life Sciences or a related discipline.
- Good communication and organisational skills and a self-motivated, proactive approach to work.
- Strong numerical skills.
- An ability to work in teams and remain flexible to changing priorities.
- A genuine interest in the healthcare/pharmaceutical industry and a willingness to learn new areas.
The successful student will gain:
- Experience of working in a busy department within the pharmaceutical industry.
- An understanding of the drug development process.
- Insight into other departments within Amgen (e.g. regulatory, clinical) and how they interact.
- Experience of the requirements and activities supporting safe use of medicines.
- Awareness of how side effects with medicines are evaluated, monitored and communicated in order to protect patient safety.
Amgen, the world’s leading independent biotechnology company, discovers and develops important therapeutics, which bring meaningful improvement to the lives of people all over the world. The extraordinary efforts of our people consistently produce exceptional clinical, operational, and financial results. Science-based and patient-driven, we aspire to be the best human therapeutics company, building our success on innovation, teamwork, risk-taking and the pursuit of excellence. Key to all this is a culture based on a deep respect for individual talent, high expectations, a full appreciation of the limitless potential of highly motivated teams – and a value system which ensures that every person has every opportunity to make a significant difference.
Please ensure that you are willing and able to live within commutable distance of the company site before applying. Cogent Skills Placements Service are managing the recruitment for this placement at our client’s request; therefore, we ask that applications are made through our website please.
Please do not provide a cover letter ensure that you answer the 5 specific questions and submit with your CV.